Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Since When Does Halloween Start in Summer?

This column was first published here on September 29, 2010.
Edited versions were subsequently published,with permission of the author,

in print and online editions of community newspapers across Chicago.


I think I missed the memo.


You know, the one saying that Halloween now starts right after Labor Day.

What’s up with that?

I’m know, I know. As a middle-aged woman, I’m risking sounding like a “When I was your age…” crank; but let me say a few things about what Halloween has become.

First, adults of my generation—the Baby Boomers---have improved it and made it worse at the same time.

We improved it when we gave it a little more structure to protect our children from predators. We organized group trick-or-treating and walked with our sons and daughters up and down familiar blocks only. For those who wanted to avoid trick-or-treating altogether, we came up with innovative solutions like the successful “trick or trunk” events you see at some schools.


But we made Halloween worse when we extended it nearly to Labor Day. By the time we actually hit Halloween, almost two months later, Halloween has lost some of its orange glow, at least, and is downright flat at worst.


It’s amazing how some people never understand that “more” isn’t always better. Sometimes, more is just more.


We made Halloween worse when many of the adults among us---particularly men who never seemed to grow up---more or less transformed Halloween from a mildly spooky, cute holiday for little kids into a celebration of homicidal slasher-type gore.


I mean really, think of the Halloween decorations you saw 30, 40, 50 years ago. Colorful cardboard decorations taped to front room windows (or as we say on the Southwest Side, “frunchroom windows”)---images of jack-o-lanterns, black cats, witches on broomsticks, dancing skeletons, maybe a cartoonish Frankenstein, Dracula or Mummy. Fairly tame, yet plenty fun.


But today in 2010? Right on the front lawn, three-dimensional glorifications of decapitations, disembowelments and more---all worked on for days and sometimes weeks with some rather disturbing devotion by men who have apparently watched “Jeepers Creepers” one time too many.


And most amazingly, these types of displays win awards in community contests.


Where do they get the judges from? Cook County Jail?


Is it possible to have a Halloween that doesn’t bleed, vomit or pledge allegiance to the Prince of Darkness? I wonder.


You know, it would be tempting to respond to this hijacking of Halloween by waving the white flag of surrender, calling it a day, putting up no decorations, and declining to answer the door for trick-or-treaters---which I’m a little embarrassed to admit, my husband and I did last year.

But this year, we’re fighting back with a seven-point plan for a kinder, gentler holiday.


  1. We will decorate our house on October 24, exactly one week before Halloween, with decorations that are mildly spooky but definitely kid friendly.
  2. We will purchase pumpkins, carve them into smiling jack-o-lanterns, put candles in them and place them on our front steps.
  3. We will roast the pumpkin seeds and eat them.

  4. We will make popcorn balls and carmel apples.

  5. We will have plenty of candy on hand, smile at everyone who comes to our door, and save the very best candy for the youngest trick-or-treaters.

  6. After dusk, we will take our old VHS copy “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” and watch it on our TV.

  7. I will take plenty of pictures and post them at citymomchicago.blogspot.com.


And at the end of the night, if my husband invites me to a pumpkin patch to await the arrival of the Great Pumpkin, I may even join him---especially if he is carrying a picnic basket with cheese, crackers and a bottle of pinot grigio.

Have a great week.

I know I will...



~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Joan Hadac is a Chicago news/feature reporter, editor and columnist.
Read her online at
www.citymomchicago.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. I like your plan. I love the Charlie Brown greeat pumpking thing the most. Braden has a great pumpkin T-shirt that I think is super cool.

    ReplyDelete