Friday, February 11, 2011

Chico Has the Best Plan for Chicago

This column was first published here on February 11, 2011.
Edited versions were subsequently published, with permission of the author,
in print and online editions of community newspapers across Chicago.


Like a lot of Chicago women, I'm still waiting for Rahm Emanuel to explain his infamous "tampon" comment. (See my January 24th column for details.) But I'm not holding my breath. How would he explain a malicious insult that reveals a sexist mindset?

In the meantime, I'm getting an earful from neighbors, friends, relatives and local business owners about the Rahm Tax----Rahm Emanuel's poorly thought out, hastily assembled, back-of-the-envelope idea to raise taxes on so-called "luxury" services like gym memberships, dog grooming, limo rides, tanning salons, interior design; and even possibly car repairs, and entertainment such as movie theaters and bowling alleys.


Exactly what other "luxuries" Rahm would tax is a mystery. Since issuing his vague plan on January 19th, Rahm has refused to answer questions or provide details---a devious deception-by-omission that the Chicago Tribune accurately described on February 1 as a political "parlor game."

I heard about the Rahm Tax from the local dog groomer when I took our lovable mutt, George (rescued from the City pound at 28th and Western a few years ago), for a wash and nail clip.

I heard about the Rahm Tax from the mechanic who fixed the power steering fluid leak on our used Chevy minivan.

I heard about the Rahm Tax from two tanning salon staffers who were behind me in line at the Mr. Submarine sandwich shop.

I heard about the Rahm Tax from a friend who worked a second job for years so he could afford to buy a limo and open his own business.

Granted, nobody likes taxes, especially new ones. But the reaction from small-business owners to the Rahm Tax is clearly very negative, partly because it seems so arbitrary and unfair, partly because it is coming at the worst possible time, while we are struggling to recover from the worst economic crash since the Great Depression. Reminds me of how unpopular the Stroger Tax was.

As out of touch with regular folks as Rahm Emanuel appears to be, the opposite appears to be the case with Gery Chico.

I say that for a number of reasons---but perhaps especially after reading Gery's plan to streamline city government.

Gery's plan is loaded with common sense. It sounded very familiar to me because it sounds a lot like---and I mean a lot like---the good, basic ideas I have heard for years from friends and relatives who are Chicago cops, firefighters, teachers and other city workers. Makes me wonder if I missed a Sunday dinner at my mom's house near Midway Airport. Gery, were you there?


Gery's plan---common sensical and workable---clearly shows that Gery is exactly what he says he is: a man from the neighborhoods, for the neighborhoods.


The City Mom is on board with Gery Chico. I hope you are, too.


With just a week or so left, let's all get busy reaching out to our family, friends, neighbors and co-workers in the city. Spread the good news about Gery Chico---a forward-thinking leader with some great throwback qualities: integrity, justice, common sense, and a great "lead by example" work ethic.

Let's stand in solidarity with Gery---giving him our time, talents and votes.

Let's prove the pollsters wrong, the smirking news anchors mistaken.

Let's prove that our votes can't be bought by money from Wall Street or Washington or Hollywood.

Let's move forward together for a better Chicago with Gery Chico as Mayor.

See you at the rally at Clemente High School this Sunday at 2:30 p.m.? (For my suburban readers who can't vote for Gery but want to show support for a better and stronger Chicago, Clemente is located at Division and Western.) Say hi to me if you see me...

Joan Hadac is a Chicago news/feature reporter, editor and columnist.Read her online at citymomchicago.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment