Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Grow Up, Get Over It

This column was first published here on December 1, 2010.
Edited versions were subsequently published,with permission of the author,
in print and online editions of community newspapers across Chicago.




As a generally conservative Democrat (we used to be called Reagan Democrats), I was never a fan of President Bill Clinton.

Among other things, I disliked his administration’s Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy regarding gays in the military.

But not for the reasons you’d think.

I thought DADT was a tepid, cringing, toe-in-the-swimming-pool approach to human rights---which in a way was worse than ignoring the issue altogether.

If I were President, my policy on gays in the military would be called Grow Up, Get Over It.

Before I go any further, let me say at this point that I have never served in the military, so I am lacking in a firsthand perspective; but I am a citizen and a taxpayer whose dollars help fund the military, so like everyone I am entitled to my say.

I also hasten to add that I fully understand that the reason I have the liberty to express my opinion freely is due in large part to the sacrifices made over generations, over centuries, by the men and women of the U.S. Armed Forces---a few of whom are my relatives, neighbors and friends.

So I have great respect and admiration for those who serve, particularly on the front lines, eyeball to eyeball with our enemies.

But I have a difficult time mustering admiration for back-office brass who go out of their way to deny basic civil rights to Americans who are gay or lesbian.

Their vague assertions about how having gays in the military will allegedly weaken combat readiness, I find ridiculous.

And to those active-duty military who make those assertions, I say: gay people have served in the U.S. military, honorably and with valor, from Bunker Hill to Baghdad. The only difference is they were not allowed to openly acknowledge their sexual orientation, as their straight counterparts were.

I have always thought it ironic that so many members of the U.S. military---soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines who pride themselves on being the roughest, toughest, most resilient and resourceful fighting force in the world---get all squeamish and weak in the knees over the simple notion that an openly gay man may be sleeping two bunks over. If it weren’t so pathetic, it would be comical---like the fabled elephant that panics at the sight of a mouse.

Curious, too, that those members of the military who insists that gays be kept out are men. I do not see our women in uniform leading the charge on this one. I’d like to think that shows we’re a little more mature, perhaps a little stronger than the “stronger sex”---but draw your own conclusions.

Other countries allow gay and lesbian citizens to serve openly in their militaries. Twenty-two of the 26 NATO military forces do. Israel, which undoubtedly has some of the toughest, smartest and best trained soldiers in the world, does too.

It should also be said that the “combat readiness” argument used to keep openly gay people out of the U.S. military is very similar to the argument used to fight President Truman’s executive order to integrate the Armed Forces. A white soldier who has to sleep in the same barracks as a "colored" soldier will be demoralized and be less able to fight for his country, the reasoning went.

Of course, history proved that wrong. We all bleed the same color.

This week there was a glimmer of hope in a new Pentagon study on ending the ban on openly gay members of the military. It asserts, “We are convinced that the U.S. military can adjust and accommodate this change just as it has others in history.”

Translation: we can grow up and get over it.

We live in a world where people are increasingly at liberty to acknowledge their sexual orientation. Today there are openly gay cops, firefighters, doctors, lawyers, nurses, teachers, news reporters, elected officials, clergy, mechanics, professional athletes, butchers, bakers, candlestick makers---heck, probably even Indian chiefs.

And so what? As long as people of all orientations conduct themselves with dignity and class, OK by me.

And you too, I hope.

See you next week….


Joan Hadac is a Chicago news/feature reporter, editor and columnist.
Read her online at
www.citymomchicago.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. I've come over from SurprisedMom's blog...all I have to say is: THANKS SO MUCH for this!

    And our Daughter thanks you as well!!

    ReplyDelete